Thursday, August 24, 2006

We have arrived!!

Hola from Sur de America!! After a 22 hour trip, we arrived at 4:15pm yesterday morning and were greeted by all the current associates - it was sooooo great to see them after hearing about them and reading about their adventures on their blogs. I slept on the plane for about 4 hours and did not go to bed until 10:30pm last night, so this, combined with jet lag and moving back and forth from speaking english to spanish, and back again, has my speaking and writing skills all out of wack...beware as this post is going to be completely random and probably grammatically incorrect. :-)

I am experiencing more things than I can write at this point, but let me just say that being in a foreign country is amazing and I don´t think I have realized I am actually here.

I am using spanish a lot but I have a lot to learn...cannot wait for language training in Bolivia. We are staying in the house in Santiago until Saturday then we are going to the other house in Pocurro until we leave for Bolivia on Tuesday. Right now I am at St. George´s, the elite private school for Chile, where Roy, one of the associates, teaches english to a 5th grade class. Yesterday I attended two other schools, both of which are completely different than St. George´s because they are public and have students of lower economic status. Roy also teaches English at one of these schools, but this time he has 8 or 9 16/17 year olds. They are typical teenagers and after claass it was great to talk to the students. Pretty much, the students helped me and I helped them, as I spoke spanish and they responded in English. It is amazing the things they said about America, haha. Will definitely write more about that later.

I hope all is well and I am thinking of everyone often. While we do not have a phone that I can use right now, we will have one soon - if you want me to call you, you must have an international phone card; I will call and you have to call me back. Calling long distance on a cell phone does not work, sorry.

Hopefully after I have caught up on my sleep I will be able to process and think about everything more clearly...after, I will be sure to let you know all about it in a new post.

Love to all, hope all is well - M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home