Tuesday, August 15, 2006

More training and my first visit back to SMC

~ This post is dedicated to my housemate Natalie...I accidentally deleted her blog today when trying to help her edit her first posting! I feel so bad - sorry Nats, I can't say that enough! ~

Today we were introduced to Fred Goddard who is here to facilitate "cross cultural training" today and tomorrow. Fred introduced us to the stages of culture shock, how we move from cultural sensitivity (learned last week from Maureen) to cross cultural adaptation, how we exactly define "culture," and how we can recognize what biases, perceptions, traditions, beliefs, and communication styles we have that may influence how we view our "new culture."

Fun "lightbulb" moment for me today: I realized today that although I will know how to communicate in Spanish, I still may not be able to understand others due to the fact that they may not use proper grammar when speaking...afterall, even in our native language of English, it is rare to find everyone using correct grammar all the time. When I talk or when you talk, do we sound like a grammar text book? The answer should be no. :-) So, since we do not always use correct grammar, why should I expect Bolivians or Chileans to be any different?? Hm...

Today I visited my alma mater for the first time since graduation. Shocking, I know! It was sooo different to be on campus as a graduate, but Saint Mary's has never looked more beautiful. I ate a great lunch in the Noble Family Dining Hall with Keith Fowlkes, Director of Information Technology and the vision, sponsor, and driving force behind me and others in creating SMC-TV. The meal was great (forgot about the cookies that come right out of the oven....how dangerous they are!) and the conversation was even more enjoyable.

Tonight, we signed our contracts as Holy Cross Associates - we are officially and legally bound to this organization until February 28, 2009. Although we will return from South America in December 2008, we will participate in re-entry training and transition process for two weeks in February 2009...which means two more weeks in Moreau Seminary...oh boy, can't wait! ;-)

The Chilean Asssociates ended our night with our second "community night," drinking a few beers and chatting at Oaken Bucket. Oaken Bucket is a great restaurant in Mishawalka, IN with a huge patio that sits over the St. Joe River. We enjoyed the weather, shared hilarious stories, and chatted about our expectations, worries, and plans for our time in South America. Good times...we leave for Santiago in 6 days!

Hope everyone had a great day, looking forward to an awesome day tomorrow in which my lunch break will be at Lulas, eating with one of my best friends as well as a one of my favorite professors from college!

Until tomorrow ~ M

PS - New quotes are up, check them out.

1 Comments:

At 8/17/2006 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello my lovely daughter!!
I have enjoyed you blogs so much!! Very entertaning!! The highlight of my day. Keep it up. There are alot of people that love to see what you are doing.I hope you do well with your shot on Friday. Please give me a call when you have a spare moment.Remember I love you and how very proud i am. Please take care. Love always,
MOM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home