Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Day 4 of HCA Orientation, Day 1 of tracking Michelle's South American Adventures

Hey everyone! Well...this is the first entry on my blog. While I am not really into the whole "exposing your daily life through an online journal that the whole world can see" kinda gal, this is the best way to keep in touch and share my adventures with you over the next 2 1/2 years. I miss you all so very much already and I hope all is well.

Currently I am in Day 4 of Holy Cross Associates (HCA) Orientation training. Those who are participating in the 1-year HCA Domestic Program are also with us 2 1/2-year Chile Associates for training. The domestic associates live and complete their year of service in one of five houses in the United States: Phoenix, Colorado Springs, Portland, or Brockton, Massachusettes. They are an amazing group of people and will certainly be missed.

We, the Chile Associates, will stay for two more weeks here at Notre Dame to complete our cultural immersion training. It is a new adventure living in and training in the Moreau Seminary; I have never lived in a religious community before and we share our meals with those priests, seminarians, and candidates. I am proud to say that I have gained not only a new perspective on those in this religious community but I have gained many of them as my new friends, mentors, and partners in Christ.

Currently, Patrick, Natalie, and I are waiting on the arrival of Katie, our fourth Chile Associate. Katie graduated from Louisiana State University (LSU) and served as a HCA domestic associate last year in Coachella, California. She ended her service about four days before HCA orientation began, so HCA has told her that she can take off the first week of orientation to relax and spend time with her family before she heads back to HCA and another 2 1/2 years of service.

I am going to set up an option on the side that explains Holy Cross Associates and its four "pillars" to give you a better idea of what this program is about and why I am so passionate and excited about serving as an associate for 2 1/2 years. Simply click on "What is HCA?" and it should pop up - happy reading :-)

Underneath the "What is HCA?" link, I am also going to put a link to the Holy Cross Associates Chile website as well as links to other associates' blogs. Ryan, Emily, Roy, and Caitlin are currently in Chile and serving their first year. I highly recommend Ryan's blog...it is funny, concise, and gives an accurate portrayal of life in Chile.

Other than training, everything is going great. I am having a great time meeting new people and hanging out with the other associates. I hope to write more about Natalie, Patrick, and Katie later as well as all the new things I am learning about my upcoming adventures.

I hope everyone is well and that you will check my blog often. Feel free to leave comments for me and let me know what you think about my recent post, or sign my guest list. Regardless, please keep in touch and let me know what you are up to - I certianly will and hope you will do the same.

Love ~ M

P.S. I would like to wish my mom a Happy Birthday today! Hope you have a great day mom, love ya!

1 Comments:

At 8/23/2006 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
How was your flight? I hope this finds you and your roommates well. Please call ot E-mail me the minute you get an address.Just make a list of things all you guys need and all of my wonderful sister friends will take good care of you all. Please all of you please take care and be careful.I am going to worry about you all so much.I will E-mail you again soon! Love,MOM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home